Sustainable Economic and Educational and Development Society
Promote economic and educational progress and development for the common folks in Orissa , in general in the developing world.
• sustainable (long-term, self-supporting, environmentally non-predatory)
• equitable (fair and just)
• decentralized (grass-root based, bottom-to-top approach)
Started in March 1993, in the wake of starvation death news in Orissa, resulting in an extensive discussion in electronic media. Informally started with the name Kalahandi-Bolangir Initiative by the formation of a group in April 1994, which later became formally SEEDS. Major initiative taken by the then students in 1993.
• Educate ourselves, raise monetary contributions small or big, and share ideas with others.
• Catalytically help development workers (NGOS) and ordinary people to help themselves; work in partnership with them not in the spirit of a funding agency.
• Avoid simple and conventional charity and promote self-reliance by being a facilitator for sustainable development.
• SEEDS volunteer absorbs his/her expenses, so that there is zero overheads.
• Support small-scale grass-roots development projects.
• Hope the small movement grows.
Structure and Operation
• Democratic, egalitarian and non-sectarian
• receive, review, monitor projects; make site visits and stay in touch with NGOs and individuals even after the completion of projects; remain focused on sustainability and long term impacts; network with other groups.
• Form Chapters so as to become locally active and work elsewhere.
Kalahandi Vanavasi Kalyan Samiti School teachers, and library Education in tribal area
Cuttack Sri Aurobindo SriKshetra Pump for irrigation, School Education in tribal area
(Dalijoda) building, cyclone
Jagatsingpur, Unnayan Intervention after super cyclone, Livelihood security,
Kendrapada formation of pani panchayat and promote self-reliance
Puri, Cuttac SHGs, introduction of microcredit and sustainability,
help learn money
Jagatsingpur ASRA Increase awareness on family Health education
(Naugan) planning, nutrition, promote kitchen and facility in
gardens, provide portable x-ray rural area
machine to the Naugan Rural
Ganjam United Artists Association Cyclone, repair school, provide better Improvement in
(Ganjam) school environment education
Balangir REACHD Minor LI point, pani panchayat, Livelihood security
(Baghbahali) SHG, microcredit, income generation
The Humanity Land leveling, food for work, Livelihood security
(Kandhaichhapar, check dam, water harvesting
Nuapada KVP Water harvesting, ponds Livelihood security
Rayagada Utkal Khadi Mandal Supporting schools , Education in tribal area
Sambalpur BISWA Bamboo plantation, ownership Livelihood security
(Jhankarbahali) and sustainability for landless people
Gajapati SACAL Poultry farming training, SHG Income generation
Mayurbhanj IMTS SHG, cyclone Income generation
Jajpur SRDO Poultry farming, goatary, Income generation
(Jagatpur) kitchen garden
Khurda GJS SHGs, mushroom farming Income generation
Dhenkanal Indira Social Welfare Org Candle manufacturing, SHG Income generation
Angul Bajiraut Chhatrabas Deep bore-well and hand pump, Education;learn and